We are hiring: Research Assistant / Social media manager
CityUnseen.hk is a new project supported by WYNG Foundation that aims to become an educational resource that writes short articles about the more hidden, obscure and underappreciated aspects of Hong Kong’s urban planning and architectural history. By uncovering the stories hidden in Hong Kong’s urban form, we hope to encourage readers to observe their surroundings more closely, ask more insightful questions about the processes that shape our city, and think about how we can build a more sustainable future.
About the role
We are recruiting a research assistant/social media manager to help produce content for the site. The role will have two major areas of responsbility:
1. Helping to research and write articles
Reading and summarizing academic research, searching through documents and historical archives, conducting interviews, fact checking, and going on site visits
2. Managing the website’s social media accounts
Developing a social media strategy, creating (mainly Chinese language) content for Facebook and Instagram, making infographics, promoting engagement, and reaching out to KOLs and potential partners.
1-year contract with option for renewal. We are hoping to recruit one full-time employee to take on both areas of responsibility, research and social media. However, we will consider hiring two part-time people depending on candidates’ strengths and availability.
1. A strong interest in urban planning, design, and local history. A degree in fields such as planning, architecture or geography is an advantage, but not required. Other social science, humanities, and journalism backgrounds will also be considered.
2. Some experience with qualitative or investigative research methods.
3. Excellent written and spoken Chinese communication skills, able to communicate complex ideas clearly and simply in short-form content.
4. Fluent in Cantonese, highly proficient in English.
5. Deep familiarity with Hong Kong’s social media landscape.
6. Basic proficiency with with graphics software (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, The Gimp). Experience in editing short videos is a bonus.
7. Self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative.
Expected start date: November 2023.
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Posted on 13 September 2023 –